Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Blog Chain: Hater Love

Even though I'm a few days late, I'm super excited to start my very first blog chain round!! *moonwalks* Without further ado, here's this round's topic:

Since Valentine's Day is around the corner, I think it's only appropriate to pay homage to those we love. But instead of our better halves, family members, and friends, this blog chain will be all about loving the haters: write a love letter to your favorite literary villain/villain-ish character. It can be short, long, serious, funny. You can use song lyrics or poems instead. Choice is totally yours :)

So. I give y'all my favorite literary villain-ish character:




Dear Severus Snape,


Thank you for teaching me about love. 

You are a badass.

No, you are not a nice person. You go out of your way to convince people of this, especially those with a surname that starts with a 'P' and ends with an 'otter'. You always wear black. If someone were to slice your skin open, you'd bleed sarcasm. Grudges weigh you down. You are were a Death Eater, for Christ's sake--Voldemort's most trusted Death Eater. YOU HELPED THE BOY WHO LIVED LOSE HIS PARENTS *even if you didn't know their identities and how much that reveal would screw you up*

And still, you teach me about love.

You teach me that love is this pretty and ugly thing. The kind of thing that can dig deep and linger forever, and the kind of thing that can dig deep and claw its way back out. We don't get to choose which kind we get. Sometimes, we don't even know which kind we have, but we always hope that first kind is the one we deserve. We fight for it and, as was your case, we might even die for it. 

You teach me about purpose, and how we can either snatch it or run away from it. You chose to snatch it and never let go. In the end, your selflessness--your love and purpose--proved to be your greatest achievement. 




And did I mention you're a badass?

Because you are.


Love, 

Me 



Make sure you check out Sandra's letter to her favorite villain, and stay tuned for Matt's!! 

9 comments:

  1. What a neat mix of love and hate! Complex villains like Snape are much more interesting than all-out bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, know that's telling someone you hate how much you love that the they are a hater. This will be one interesting blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, great love letter to the wonderful/badass Snape. I always get teary-eyed thinking of his memory of confessing his love for Lily and that's why he protects Harry, even though he hates Harry. He's ... awesome. So great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the best literary characters of our lives! I can never get too much Snape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am procrastinating with your brilliance. And your humor. And all my favorite books and characters. Best half hour of procrastination ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! Snape was a very complex character, and your letter rocked!

    ReplyDelete