Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Query Letter 101

Hello, there!

As you may (or may not...) know, I'm an aspiring writer. My current work in progress, which I'll discuss in greater detail later, is a YA paranormal romance. It's a far cry from being finished, but I've already taken the time to do research on something really important. Something so important that every aspiring writer should dedicate time to perfecting.

The infamous query letter.

A query letter is the first writing sample a literary agent will receive from you. It's crucial that you make it stand out (in a good way) and make it reflect not only your excellent writing skills, but your voice as well. A great query letter must sum up what your book is about without sounding like a laundry list.

Piece of cake, right?

Eeeeehhhh...

Anyway, since I'm no expert on the subject, I've chosen to post the link to a fantastic article written by Maggie Stiefvater, who I've dubbed the Lady Awesome Supreme (can you tell I'm a fan or what?). Make sure to check it out:

http://m-stiefvater.livejournal.com/147714.html?view=6019586#t6019586
I'll be posting more useful info regarding queries and other great links later on, so stay tuned! Have a rockin' day!

And good luck with those queries!

No comments:

Post a Comment