Thursday, November 4, 2010

Attention All Writers: Own It

A lot has happened this week. In my life. Around the blogosphere. Everywhere.

I'm not here to talk specifics, but I will mention one thing that's been bothering me lately. In fact, it's always bothered me. 

What bothers me, you ask?

Not owning it.

Voicing opinions is one of the most freeing things a person can do. It can also hurt feelings, or just plain piss off others. Even so, if you don't say what you mean, the only person who suffers for it is you. That's why we should own up to what we say and think. Never backpedal and go, "Oops! That's not what I meant! I've been misunderstood!" 

...

It's a totally different thing to hurt feelings and apologize for it. That is acceptable in my eyes. For example, if you say you hate Neil Gaiman's books (what is WRONG with you???), that's okay. But if you say, "everybody who loves Neil Gaiman's books should shoot themselves in the face," that's not okay. Opinions are meant to pave the way for constructive dialogue between two opposing viewpoints. Not to spew hateful and incredibly judgmental garbage. 

Then there's my pet peeve: backpedaling after you get serious scorn action for saying exactly what you meant

You hate Neil Gaiman's books and think he's no horror expert (again, you have issues). You recommend another writer who rocks way more than peanut butter sandwiches. Neil Gaiman's fans go on a rampage defending his awesomeness. You realize you've gained several enemies that will most likely send you viruses through emails. Then you change your tune and say you're sorry. 

...

Writers, own it. Whatever it is, just own it.

Nuff said.

12 comments:

  1. WOW! I love this post. This is just full of awesome and I agree with you 100%. Thank you for saying this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Someone did that? Probably not the best idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I saw someone do this two days ago on facebook: "If you voted for so-and-so you should punch yourself in the face and then unfriend me". Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see this sort of thing on Twilight fan boards sometimes and it makes me sad. It's like a hyper-cruel version of high school online. People actually say stuff like, "If you love [whateverIhate] you should die." It's kind of shocking to somebody used to the friendly writerly blogosophere. :)

    If you don't know what Amparo's talking about, go to a Twilight fan board and say you love either Edward or Jacob more than the other. You'll soon get an eyeful.

    Thanks for posting this, Amparo! You rock! Always keeping it real, and that's what I love about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I haven't really seen that kind of negativity, and I'm glad I haven't. Everyone likes different things, that's why there are different books, and genres. I like this, you like that, no biggie! Sad how some people are so serious though- Twilight or others

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like shouting my agreement but you wouldn't hear it anyway. Sigh. Well, just imagine me yelling, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh!!! Oh dear!! Here's hoping whoever said that realises that it's better to be honest and to defend his or herself honestly than backpeddling - cos it just makes things worse for them!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah...amazing how rabid some people can get. As for the backpedaling..I've done it a time or tow...or three :) Not over anything as extreme as what you've mentioned. But I do try to shy away from confrontation or hurting someone's feelings. One the other hand, I'm trying to "own it" more as well, so I'm working on it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. And you are right, backpedaling ends up sounding worse than sticking to your opinions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. People who backpedal from an opinion they voice don't deserve the right to say it in the first place.

    And I own that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Definitely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete