Thursday, November 18, 2010

Why I Love Harry Potter: Romance Takes Time

Romance. Me hearts it.

BUT I like my romance slow. Complicated. Full of WTF moments.

I like my romance real.

That means no blink-of-an-eye, I-just-met-you-and-you're-the-one kind of thing. Sure, people have gut feelings when it comes to meeting a person for the first time, but books shouldn't all be in favor of the Insta-Love formula. True love builds, piles on the layers, and stays strong amid the nastiest of storms.

This is why J. K. Rowling nailed it for me, friends. Because she created two characters that took. Their. Time.


Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger


As a reader, I was c-o-n-s-t-a-n-t-l-y waiting for these two to see the light. Tons of fans responded very well to the way Rowling handled the evolution of their relationship: BFFs first, then something more. Some harmless teasing here and there, frequent arguments regarding house elf rights, the occasional love triangle with Hot Foreign Quidditch Player and Incredibly Annoying Stalker Girl, and you've got yourself a romance that spans the seven seas.

And seven books *brain explodes*

Folks, romance takes time. In real and fake life. Nothing beats reading that fateful moment where two perfect-for-each-other characters finally take the plunge. 

9 comments:

  1. I AM SO WITH YOU! YAY! The minute I saw Harry Potter on your post I knew I had to hop over. I'm attending the midnight showing this evening and every post this week has been all about the Harry Potter love.

    Romance... oh how it blossoms. Just proves sometimes we miss what's right in front of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally. Agree!

    JK handled most things really well. She's an inspiration, for sure.

    LOVE this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I can't stand it when books are all, I'm really in love and I just looked at you. That's fake! LOL And oh Ron and Hermione hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! I'm feeling a little guilty because I've written a sort of first-sight moment with one of my characters, but it's totally one-sided, so that's okay, right? *sigh* You always inspire me to try harder, go for the less obvious angle.

    You rock. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I love this couple, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur! That is one of the reasons I liked this series and the coupling. ALl that instant love crap. Blah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for slow burning romance!! The best!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And so true. It's gotta take time. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore, adore, adore Ron and Hermione, and cannot WAIT to see Deathly Hallows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I AGREE AGREE agree. Romione, haay. Its definitely the thing I look forward to when I'm reading HPs.Love them. Ron and Hermione's romance was great, not that kind of stupid romance we hear all the time that the couples kiss and then thats settled. ROMIONE rocks a million.

    ReplyDelete