Sunday, September 26, 2010

Monday Book Madness: Daisy Whitney's THE MOCKINGBIRDS

I know I say I can't wait to get my hands on a particular book every Monday, but this time, I mean it x1000.

Le book:



THE MOCKINGBIRDS by Daisy Whitney



Le blurb:

Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.


I'm on a serious contemporary kick lately (I think that's because I STILL haven't read Clockwork Angel or Paranormalcy...). This book is right up my alley--secret society, girl power, mysteries galore. 

Sold.

Other than that, I'm confident about the way Whitney mixes a very serious issue (date rape) with a lighter  tone. Not many writers venture into this territory, mainly because it's such a steep hill to climb. I'm glad Ms. Whitney took the challenge.

THE MOCKINGBIRDS comes out on November 2nd, so mark your calendars.


How about you? Any books you're dying to read this week?

6 comments:

  1. Squee. I'm excited for this book as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week?!?!? For me it's a book per quarter year! LOL!! Yes I'm slow but by jingo I finish the book eventually!

    Anyway - great recommendation - will keep this in mind! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds awesome. I love secret societies and girl power. Adding it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really great book. Once you get your hands on it, let us know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds like a great book! It's totally on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete